Drupal 8 has brought in a lot of changes. Lots of contributed modules have been added to Drupal core. New standards have been implemented for easy use. Drupal 8 is now in the beta phase. Drupal 8 uses Symfony framework.
New Features of Drupal 8
Views is a contributed module in previous Drupal versions. File structure has changed in Drupal 8, now views is a core module in Drupal 8.
Inline Editor :
The inline editor helps to edit the content of a page without going to the edit page. If you want to change some content in the body, then click edit and you can edit the content.
Object Oriented Programming :
Drupal 8 comes with Object Oriented Programming concepts for the most part of the system. Symfony framework used in Drupal 8. It has MVC architecture. This makes the code easy to maintain, scale, and reuse.
Drupal 8 is mobile friendly. The default themes ( Bartik, Seven, and Stark) uses responsive design. The purpose of responsive design is to change the layout based on the size and capabilities of the device. The new administration experience provides lightweight features.
CkEditor is one of the core modules in Drupal 8. CKEditor is a visual html editor used for editing web pages. CKEditor is designed to bring common word processor features directly to the web pages thus simplifying their content creation.
Picture Module is one of the new modules that have HTML5. It automatically resizes the image for different screens.
Improved Multilingual functionality is another feature of Drupal 8. With Drupal 8 you can:
- Multi-Translate anything in the system with built-in user interfaces.
- Build web pages with Views language filtering and block visibility.
- Get software translation updates automatically from the Drupal community.
REST stands for Representational State Transfer. Rest is a web service. REST is used to interact with other applications.
These interactions are mainly for creating, reading, updating and deleting resources.
New Field types :
- Email Field : Email Field automatically validates the e-mail address and generates a ‘mailto:’ link when displayed.
- Telephone : Generates a ‘tel:’ link when displayed. Useful for telephony apps like Skype and other phone systems for making calls.